Vladimír Kopecký (*1931) was born in Svojanov near Pardubice. He studied at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague, where he tried to fuse together glass and painting techniques in the Studio of Monumental Painting and Glass led by Josef Kaplický. Under his tutelage, he won the Golden Medal at the 1958 Expo in Milan, together with Adriana Šimotová and František Burant. Even under the communist regime, Kopecký was allowed to work outside the Czech Republic. His works can be found in the Cultural Center New Foundland, USA, in the Town-Hall of Toyama, Japan or in the Toburg Technology Center. He is the recipient of numerous awards, such as the 1984 Japanese Bridgestone Museum Award. From 1990 to 2008 he worked as a professor at the Academy, leading the Glass Studio. Kopecký’s works are represented in both private and public collections in all over the world, most notably the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, the Corning Museum of Glass in USA and The National Museum of Modern Art in Yokohama.